Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Week 2: Only 14 more to go!!!

Well Katie and I decided about a month ago to run a half marathon. Why you might ask? Secretly (I guess not so secretly anymore) we both want to be able to put one of those 13.1 stickers on the backs of our cars and have people wonder what it means, but seriously, we both have made the choice to train for a half marathon to get in shape. What better way to do such a thing, right? OK, so we know we're crazy, and that there are a million different ways to get in shape, but on March 21st around 9:30 in the AM, we're going to feel so very much accomplished when we cross that finish line. I must take this moment to add that Abby is also running, but because she is a running guru, we aren't letting her train with us. Did I mention she is running a half marathon this Saturday? Yea, Katie and I are on our own for this training, but Abby has already been a great supporter and reassures us that the training will be worth it. After reading the journal entries in my running book (I'll talk more about it later) Katie and I decided to keep a blog of our training highs and lows. Hopefully we'll provide a honest, VERY honest account of training for a half marathon, and maybe we'll inspire some of you to do one too!! We will update our progress hopefully at the end of every week to let you all know that yes, we know we're crazy, but we're still going through with it and getting closer to our goal of 13.1 miles!
Here we are halfway through our second week of training (and by that, I mean pre-training). That's right we are training for the training, but after reading my newly adopted running companion, The Nonrunner's Guide to Marathons for Women by Dawn Dais, it is perfectly fine to train for the training. This book provides an honest, blunt, and rather sarcastic look at training for a marathon/half marathon. Needless to say, I absolutely love it. It lightens the mood a little when my body is in so much pain! I read today that I definitely don't have the right running accessories. SANTA: please bring me running accessories! They are quite important. I know that sounds crazy, BUT I got my first blister (which doesn't hurt thanks to the many years of dancing on my toes) because I don't have the right kind of running socks. Who knew such things existed? Anyhoo, I am going to look into said running accessories over Christmas break, which began on Monday. I just looked and on Christmas our training says we are running 3 miles....MERRY CHRISTMAS, here's a three mile trot. Now, hopefully I'll look back on this and think how funny it is that I agonized over a 3 mile run, but now, it's no joke. I'm not a runner, and one must slowly get acquainted to this "sport". I'll be honest, my body is taking its sweet time. I'm learning that my new best friend is the ibuprofen bottle and there's no shame in ending a workout early to make sure you get in an adequate cool down and stretch. My body is getting old. Well my body needs a rest, until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment