What happened? You might be wondering what the answer could possibly be. Well it has taken me a week to get up the courage to say.... I fell face first last week while running. Oh, you say. It's fine because you were probably just jogging along and tripped over a very large tree branch that fell just as you were crossing the street of a small neighborhood. Well, you would be wrong. It all began as Katie and I set out for a nice 6 miler (on our day off). We were feeling pretty good after a rough couple of days and a rough start. It was about at the 2 mile point when we were falling into step (excuse the pun). We had just turned onto Jacobs Highway (yes, you read that right HIGHWAY, meaning four lanes with a turning lane, so make that five lanes of traffic) and were approaching the stop light (yes, where several cars were pausing to create a nice flow of traffic). When all of a sudden, I was on the ground. I remember it vividly as I'm sure you remember one of the most embarrassing things you've ever done too. It went in slow motion. My legs continued to move, but my feet did not. My hands (my life(face)savers) led the way to the ground. My knees followed. I remember thinking, "Hmm, now would be a great time to ask Katie for help!" Just like that, I hit the ground. BOOM! SCRAPE! TEARS (both meanings of the word, just in case you are in 3rd grade and are learning about homographs) (lots of tears)! My left foot decided to hang out in the shoe lace of my right foot for a second, without my consent, and down I went. Remember how I was on that four slash five lane highway. I was mortified! How embarrassing! But good thing I was running with such a great, wonderful, caring friend. Katie didn't act embarrassed (though, how could you not be when running with such a klutz!). No, she just sat down on the grass with me as I shed some tears, and saw that my pants were ripped. Looking back, I think the tears were from the ripped pants more than the embarrassment because those things are NOT cheap! Anyhow, I got some pretty sweet bruises and cuts as a result of this occurrence, and after Katie was able to assure me that life would go on and people wouldn't forever remember me as that girl who tripped over herself on the four slash five lane highway, she and I walked home.
I have since learned that falling is apart of running (that's what I've told myself at least) and all good runners have done it, so hopefully that means I'm getting some where. You'll be happy to know that I have since also gotten new shoes with shorter laces, and I'm still running! Training has been a bit slow lately, but Katie and I are running in a 10 K on Saturday for practice with the whole racing thing! Ours is TWO weeks from SUNDAY!!!!! AHHHH!!! Ok, hope you're doing well! Peace!
No comments:
Post a Comment