Wednesday, March 24, 2010

WE DID IT!!!

 Saturday morning we headed over to the Georgia Dome to pick up our race packets and goodies. It was the first time I've ever been on field level at the Dome and only the second time I've ever been there. We learned A LOT about what to do/eat/wear/breath before/during/after the race. Katie and Abby got some miracle sticks. No really. They make miracles in your muscles happen. I'm too cheap to even purchase a miracle stick, but I did buy TWO 13.1 stickers!!! Seeing as that was my original reason for running this thing, I figured I should get two. After leaving the Health and Fitness Expo at the Dome. We drove around the race route and it definitely looked doable. We headed to Atlantic Station for lunch. I got to act as tour guide and chauffeur for the weekend, and I loved showing the girls Atlanta! For dinner that night, we went to Buckhead to a place called Figo. I had never been before because I had heard that it was a "GREAT" pasta place, and well, I don't do pasta. I decided, though, to take the girls there because I know that carb loading is a plus before the race. It turned out to be a really great place. I had soup and a salad and really loved it! We called it a night pretty early since we would be getting up at 5:30 the following morning.
Sunday. Race day! We woke up at 5:30, fixed our blueberry bagels with bananas, got dressed, woke Abby up, and headed downstairs. We met Abby's parents in the lobby, and mine were frantically driving. No really, I thought my mom was crying because she was about to miss my start. Seriously though, I would have been sad had that happen, BUT good news: it didn't happen. My parents arrived about 15 minutes before the race started. They met us and brought me a Team Bruner singlet that I wore during the race. It's clearly hard to run at all and not think of John, but especially after training for four and a half months, I felt it necessary to run for him. He was always such an inspiration to me, and even though it has taken me this long, I have finally been able to run in his memory.
Back to the race, Abby, Katie, and I headed to the start line. Abby started ahead of us, and Katie and I never found our corral, so we broke in front of everyone too. Once we got to the start line, I literally sprinted (bad choice) to get out of the crowd. I was slowed down back to my race pace and was just trotting away listening to my jams when at mile 1, my ipod died. WHAT?! It was completely charged when I started. I guess after 3.5 years it's little ipod heart just gave out. Well hello 12.1 miles WITHOUT tunes. Let me tell you, I have the rest of my life figured out. That is a LONG time to be with your thoughts (oh and 17,000 of your closest running buds too). The race was very hilly. You don't actually get that when you're driving so much. UP and DOWN (repeat for 13.1 miles). It was a great route though. We went through all parts of downtown Atlanta. We finished the race running around Tech's stadium. Did you know that that's pretty much straight up hill? Well, it is. It was a tough ending, but I won't lie. I shed a few tears as I crossed the finish line. I had just completed the greatest accomplishment in my life thus far.
You might think that I have run my feet into the ground, but I haven't. I'm afraid to admit that this is the start of a new hobby for me, MK. I love running! I just hope my body feels the same way for a really long time!
Guess this is good-bye. I hope that you too will consider setting some sort of trianing goal and reach it. You'll feel so accomplished too, and I know you can do it! If Katie and I could train for a half marathon, anyone can. I promise! If you need help, advice, or encouragement, talk to us!!!! Remember you can, you will, and you are able!
Peace, MK
Katie, Abby, and Me after the Race

No comments:

Post a Comment