Thursday, February 4, 2010

During the time, I've been away...

You are probably wondering where I have been , and the only thing I can say is that I turned 22. I know that might not sound like much, but if you haven't done this, it can be taxing! Ok, so I get that I'm not that much older, but my body is beginning to experience its appreciation (rather LACK of appreciation) for this whole half marathon training thing. If my body were writing this blog right now, it would say something like this: "I can't believe she hasn't stopped yet. I've tried to cramp every muscle she has. I've even made her aware of a million muscles she never even knew she had (I'm sneaky like that), and she still hasn't given up. Guess I'll have to try something else. I don't know how much more I can take!" Though each day I do find a new muscle, I can't lie and say that I'm not super excited that this past weekend I ran close to 9 miles! I was scheduled to run 8, so I ran for 80 minutes. My mile time is close to a 9 min/mile, which I know for you runners that's practically standing still, but for me, it's almost "as fast as lightening"! Anywhoo, I also feel like I am making loads of progress. The shortest run on the schedule from here on out is 4 miles. Remember that time in my life (slash just two months ago) when 1 mile was a battle in itself?? Well now I run four miles and feel like I could do more. It's like a little break....uhh who is this person typing?? 
With all this running, I have had an unusual amount of alone time with my little thoughts, and let me tell you, I have probably had enough time to figure out the world's problems (mine are still in question!). No, but seriously, I have been doing a lot of thinking, and I have decided that I am very happy with where I am in life right now (you can clap or whatever you want because that's huge!). Sure I have a million things to stress about: each day I am responsible for cramming new information into 50 kids' brains; graduation is on the horizon (and by horizon, I mean I'm at the ocean and can see it!); the whole job thing is still panning (or at least hopefully) itself out; oh, the list could go on, but I'm sure you have better things to do than read about the things that should be stressing me out right about now. Where was I? Right, this training thing has given me an opportunity to think about all of this and more; however, the thoughts are usually interrupted with a "oh my goodness, are my knees about to fall off", "it feels like there are daggers in my shoulders", "I've got to pee", "I've only been running for 10 minutes? It feels like 100!". Ok, so the thinking part is something I want to work on, but nevertheless, I digress.
Anyway, I will continue to stand by my goal of promoting a physical lifestyle among my friends and family. I have found how beneficial running has been. I clearly wasn't a "runner" when I began this training. I was just the average girl that loved to pig out and then go "work it off" at the gym or vice versa, but I have learned that exercising has given me a much needed confidence boost, and I am on my way to accomplish a goal that I never dreamed possible. If you are reading this and still thinking she's crazy I could never run a half marathon, start by going to the gym and walking on the treadmill for say 30 minutes three (or one) times a week, and you'll start to notice a difference in your self image! I promise!!
Ok, I'm off my soapbox. I will be back though! Hope y'all are loving this lovely weather we've been having. It's added an extra challenge to this whole training thing. Oh right, I was hailed on today as I was attempting a 5 miler. The 5 miles did not happen, but I can now check "run in the freezing cold hail" off the life to do list. Hasta proixmo tiempo!

No comments:

Post a Comment